Isn’t it really great to own a laptop? Of course, it is!
One of the most recent as well as most useful technical innovations that I’ve come across is the laptop. Apart from being easy to operate and possessing the advantage of portability, using a laptop also has the added advantage of being a fun-filled and learning experience. There are hundreds of people who will swear by the convenience of using laptops, and most among them cannot even begin to imagine their lives without it.
Even with all the advantages of laptops, we should be aware that it has some negative aspects too. Almost everyone has heard about the risk posed by radioactive emissions from laptops, yet most of us do not take adequate precautions. Prolonged exposure to these radiations can cause severe health problems to humans. Even trivial matters like the posture while sitting and using laptops contributes a lot to the maintenance of our health. In spite of all these possible ill effects, we use laptops extensively. However, there is no need to worry, following a few precautions can help us tackle the situation.
The internal chips and the setup of the laptops are the main source of these radiations. On overheating, these chips start radiating. The hard disk and the memory chips contribute most to this radiation. Recent research and studies also point out that wireless communications in laptops pose a greater danger that desktops.
Some of the ill effects of laptop radiations are given below-
• Radiations emitted from laptops can cause cancer or similar diseases
• Staying in close proximity to laptops for a prolonged duration, or keeping it on your lap can have detrimental effect on your genitals, which might even result in infertility
• Sitting in front of your laptop continuously can lead to severe back pain, and the problem gets worse with time
Although for most of us, it’s not possible to even imagine about giving up using laptops altogether for health issues, we can certainly take certain precautions to minimize the danger to our health –
• It’s preferable not to place the laptop on your lap or bend over it. Keeping it on a flat surface and sitting in front of it will prevent any direct contact of the heated laptop body with your body, as well as prevent any cases of back ache.
• Taking regular breaks between every 15 or 20 minutes to relax is a good way to prevent eye irritation, headaches or back aches from developing.
• Using a laptop shield can prevent some radiations from harming the user. However, it does not stop all radiations.
• Radiation goggles, which are easily available in the market, can be used while working on your laptop
• Laptop batteries as well as chargers also radiate when overheated, so it’s better to charge them when not in use. Similarly, avoid overcharging your laptops.
• Food supplements rich in Vitamin A and C are natural methods to combat the harmful effects of laptop radiation.
• A minimum eye distance of 50 to 80 cm should be maintained from the laptop screen.
• To prevent the harmful effects of screen radiations, screen radiant filter plates can be used.
• Placing the laptop in front of a cooler to cool down the heat radiations is also a good idea.